- Elizabeth Bennet (Pride and Prejudice) - for being lively, quick witted, knowing her own mind and being prepared to hold on for what she wants and not settle for second best.
- Sam Vimes (Discworld) - For the way he develops throughout several novels. Is also courageous and more honourable than he gives himself credit for.
- Miss Marple - For being a shrewd old biddy (the kind I want to be when older!). Favourite book where she features is probably Nemesis.
- Hercule Poirot - Is a great detective with absolutely no time for false modesty (or moustaches!). Favourite book he features in is probably Murder on the Orient Express.
- Atticus Finch (To Kill a Mockingbird) - A true anti-racism hero. I've not read Watchman as yet though I have heard Atticus is not the same man in that book but based on the original Harper Lee book, I think he is decent, honourable and yes I love characters like that.
Will continue with my list over next couple of days but thinking about what I like about other authors' characters helps me focus more and develop what I like in mine!