- People stay well away from the wizard's residence, which is usually a grandiose tower. (One good thing about that is you can't miss it and so it is easy to avoid!).
- There are usually signs of magic having taken place in the area around where the wizard lives. He has to have a target area and well there is no place like home, is there? Common signs of magic is land that has become barren, scorched or where the trees are not normal (they're a strange colour, they walk, they talk, often to moan about what happened to them and so on).
- The advantage to the wizard about 2 above is that this usually affects his neighbours most. He is shielded in his tower and signs of his magic can and does cow the locals. This means no interference in what he is up to, which all treacherous wizards welcome. They crave some peace so they can get on with their latest villainy.
- The wizard gets very few visitors. Even other magical practitioners keep well away. Rivals don't tend to leave the wizard's tower alive. Word of this kind of thing does leak out.
- The wizard makes a point of collecting spell books, usually ancient magic that has not been used for centuries, and all sorts of smoke, noises, screams emanate from the wizard's tower as a result. Well I guess it beats having a burglar alarm...
I'm Allison Symes and write fairytales with bite, especially novels and short stories.