So why write then?
- For therapy. Writing literally does take you out of yourself for a while (doesn't consume calories either!).
- For pleasure.
- To try and make a career out of it.
- To share your thoughts and worldview via your characters.
- To write specifically about those things which interest you the most.
- To write specifically against those things which you are most against. Ties in with 4 above. Secret here I think is not to go on for too long.
- To try to write the book you want to read that isn't out there yet and you feel you have to come up with it.
Why ever you write, I think the most crucial thing is to enjoy it. Good luck!