- The monsters are literally out of this world and will kill you horribly. It won't be a quick exit. They will want you to suffer.
- Weather conditions can be artificial and as a result dangerous to cope with. Would anyone really cope with a permanent winter as portrayed in the Narnia stories? I also think with an artificial weather system, it would have to break eventually and what would the consequences be? I can't help but think of a dam breaking with all the damage that causes. All I know is I don't want to be in the way!
- Meeting strange, mythical creatures will throw you. After all there is nothing on Earth to compare these things with, no David Attenborough wildlife documentaries educating you about these things.
- The plants are likely to be carnivorous.
- Magic is likely to be a major element in these worlds. How would we, as non-magical beings, survive it? (At best we'd be enslaved, not my idea of a happy future).
- Quests are a common feature of fictional worlds. The one thing you can guarantee is that they will be dangerous. I've not come across a safe one yet. Okay that would mean no story but if you are in that world yourself, do you really want your existence threatened continually? It's fine to read about but not experience is my view here.
I'm Allison Symes and write fairytales with bite, especially novels and short stories.