- The populace greets you with a sullen silence. This never bodes well.
- Where the map says "here be dragons", don't laugh. The cartographer knew what they were saying.
- If the populace tries to send you in the direction of "here be dragons" it is definitely time to rethink your travel plans.
- When you are invited to lie down on a stone slab and only then are you told about the regular sacrifice of nosey strangers.
- The weather becomes icy with no signs of change or Christmas. You are either in Narnia (look for Aslan) or in the realm of the Snow Queen (just get out of there).
- You are "invited" to go on a quest. Refusal means death. Going on the quest means probable death.
- You discover the planet you're visiting is in range of a Death Star.
- You discover the main residents of the world you're visiting are Daleks.
- You discover the main residents of the next world you're visiting are Cybermen.
- You find the world you're on has time running backwards. This will drive you round the bend. Best get back to a normal planet with time running the right way round.
Visiting strange worlds, cities or what have you has its attractions and dangers but warning signs it may be time to get out fast include:-
I'm Allison Symes and write fairytales with bite, especially novels and short stories.