- Stop whinging, you ARE going on the quest.
- What monster? Oh that one? Well get on and kill it then if you don't want it bothering you.
- What kind of harm could possibly come from a stick with a star at the end of it?
- Yes, you will have to walk for miles, the food will be awful but you are still going on that quest.
- I wouldn't look over the cliff if I were you. You'll only see what's left of the bodies where people missed their footing. Why depress yourself?
Now I must admit if I were a character and I heard any of these, I would be running a mile, metaphorically speaking, in the opposite direction.
It could be useful to work out what your characters really do fear though - and then make them face up to it. Can you imagine the tension? I can...! (So can your future readers and they will want you to "bring it on" so to speak. So never hesitate to drop your characters right in it. There are stories to be had there!).