- What is the single thing you regret most?
- What would you say was your greatest strength?
- Conversely, what would you say was your greatest weakness?
- If you could change something about yourself, what would it be?
- What would you say was your finest achievement?
I also ask questions specific to the character. For example, to Eileen, I ask if she regrets her defection to Earth. In all my interview questions I try to look at the character from an outsider's viewpoint. Another great thing about the interview technique is in coming up with my characters' answers, I find out quite quickly whether or not I have given my characters sufficient motivation for being the way they are/acting the way they have. An interview with answers can also form part of an outline for a story too.