- You're just the person I need for this highly dangerous quest I've got to go on.
- I do love volunteers, don't you?
- What dragon? (Never go on a quest with someone who says this. Their observational skills are likely to be questionable).
- I promise not to use much magic. (Fine, but is what they will use enough to destroy the world you're on? Almost certainly I'd have thought).
- It'll all be over by .... It never is.
- Your friends and family won't have time to miss you. Double edged sword this one. If true, it means said family and friends are facing the monsters you escaped from. If not true, you will be facing the monsters, said family and friends will never know of it unless you are lucky to survive. Also if not true, they wlll have time to miss you and because quests always go on longer than anyone anticipates will assume you're dead and start sellling off your property. See The Lord of the Rings for more on this.
- Time travel won't hurt you. Quite possibly not but what you face when you do time travel probably will.
- Why are you praying? Get away from this insensitive oaf immediately. If you feel the need to pray, you are obviously facing a desperate situation and the need to pray should be apparent to all. (And if it makes you feel better, they shouldn't be judging you anyway).
- Of course nobody else knows about the treasure we're looking for. Wrong! Someone always does know and they're usually better equipped and armed than your host. Seriously consider changing sides.
- You are such a lucky soul. You were until you met whoever said this. Your luck is about to change.
Infamous first lines could also be intepreted as lines your characters never want to hear said to them and could include the following:-
I'm Allison Symes and write fairytales with bite, especially novels and short stories.