- Getting a magical talking mirror. Had Snow White's stepmother not had this, she at least would not have known for sure who was doing best in the being beautiful stakes. Without that "for sure" would she have gone on to try to kill Snow White? Maybe, maybe not. With the mirror it was definite!
- Leaving breakfast unattended to go for a quick walk. I doubt if this was a mistake the three bears made twice!
- Sending your kid off with a basketful of goodies to grandma's house. Why it didn't occur to Little Red Riding Hood's parents that there were likely to be dangerous creatures in the woods is beyond me. Certainly she should have been told something about not talking to strangers. (And why she didn't think it odd a wolf should be asking questions is also beyond me).
- Going to see a witch to get help to win the love of a human prince. It really should have struck The Little Mermaid the witch was going to ask as very heavy price. Forget Disney. See Hans Christen Andersen on this one.
- Going to a witch's garden and pinching her vegetables. The man who would go on to be Rapunzel's father must have bitterly regretted this the day he had to hand his daughter over to the witch.
We have all had ideas that sounded great at the time but with hindsight we should have seen the flaws. Usually we discover what those are the hard way! The same is true for the fairytale world. For example:-
I'm Allison Symes and write fairytales with bite, especially novels and short stories.