- Flash fiction can reflect an "incident" which is too short to write up as a standard length short story.
- Flash fiction can reflect one intense tone from funny to horror.
- Flash fiction can cover all genres.
- A flash fiction piece can be developed into a longer short story (or novella or novel) and can effectively act as a blurb later.
- I find flash fiction is a great way of writing stories in the first person. It seems to work really well.
- Flash fiction makes you focus.
- You've got to have a real grasp of what makes your character tick since (a) you will only have room for one, maybe two characters and (b) you don't have any space to expand. Every word must "work for its keep" or you'll never stick to the word count. This is particularly important for those writing 75 to 100 word stories.
- Flash fiction is tailor made for reading on tablets, mobile phones etc. It can be a great way of showing there is a form of literature for all, even those who are always in a tearing hurry!
- It's easy to share a flash fiction piece you've written on websites, blogs etc. It gives a concise way of showing people what you write and your style.
- A really good flash fiction piece will leave a strong impression on you. Often it will make you want to know more about the character(s).
Why do I think flash fiction is a fantastic form of writing?
I'm Allison Symes and write fairytales with bite, especially novels and short stories.