- Serious or spoof, they show you something about what we're like as a species, if only by implication.
- You wouldn't mind living there!
- They take you completely in that world when you're reading. Nothing jars or seems out of place.
- The characters are at home in that world. Again nothing jars. Hobbits, for example, could not live just anywhere. (You try making a hobbit hole in the Arctic, say).
- The world is fully developed - there's a system of government, people have jobs or other ways of earning a livelihood, magic exists (in fantasy though usually with some rules and restrictions), there's a sense of the world's history and general geographical features etc.
For me the best things about other worlds are:-
I'm Allison Symes and write fairytales with bite, especially novels and short stories.