- Invisibility is considered to be amongst the most useful spells.
- Boosting flying ability is common to all groups. All need this to get out of danger at some point.
- Being able to conjure up obstacles or smokescreens or both to slow enemies down enough to get you out of trouble.
- Conjuring up food and drink is a wise standby (though all prefer natural food and drink. Magic does do something to the taste of things, not unpleasant unless you are that crone trying to pass off a poisoned apple to Snow White, but natural foodstuffs are just considered fresher and therefore better). Having said that, any desperate magical being, without enough energy left to do a spell of this nature, will conjure up whatever they need to survive.
- Several types of spell to repel/kill dragons and other monsters are essential. In the case of dragons, some spells will try to take out the fire breathing ability. (Brankaresh didn't bother with this. His dragon killing spell just involved removing the beast's head in one go. He took the attitude that this took care of any and every threat the dragon could possibly pose to him!).
Whether the person concerned is a witch (bad or otherwise), wizard (ditto) or fairy (supposed to be good but the jury is out on Eileen), there is a range of favourite spells common to them all.
I'm Allison Symes and write fairytales with bite, especially novels and short stories.