- The creativity of it all.
- When the places and people I invent become real for me and I can literally picture them. It's one indication I'm on the right lines, which is always encouraging.
- When I can think of a situation and know instantly how a character would react and, just as importantly, why (which is not always clear cut necessarily).
- When I have other ideas that feed into my new world and strengthen it and/or the characters in it. World building can only work when there's a reasonable world to build on to!
- When I can see why a "bad" character acts that way as it means I can show this in what I write and it adds depth to that character and the plot.
Some of my favourite things about creating other worlds for my short stories and novels are:-
I'm Allison Symes and write fairytales with bite, especially novels and short stories.